Monday, July 23, 2007

Technology, distance and copy writing

Yesterday, I cam to fully appreciate the technology available to wannabe computer geeks like me.

My friend in a distant country contacted me through her friend saying that she needed a bit of help and that I ought to go online. That was an sms/text message.Thankfully, I was in a camp with a laptop which belonged to the organisation which was hosting the camp. This laptop had a net card enabling the users to use internet on the go. Perfect!
And I agreed to go.

When I met her online, a few minutes from then, she told me that she'd got a job in a company which demanded her to write advertorials! I became very proud of her. She struggled in the beginning with speaking and using colloquial English, while studying here in Inida. In three years, she became a pro. (That's a very inspiring story -never give up and work it off). she wanted me to check the editorial, edit it and suggest changes. No, I am not a preofessional copy writer but I'd some sense of it. I was humbled and accepted to help her. So online, s we chatted through windows messenger, she sent me the file containing her advertorial tvia email and I checked it and asked her question - What did you intend by this line? Who is the target audience? Where is it being put up? - All i real time. She sitting far away but both of us working and editting the same document and making changes real time. I know that technology enabled us to do this long ago, but then something as marvellous as this is a first for me. And I'm glad that I was of some help to that great friend.

No comments: